Direct Support Worker 1
All Service Areas
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities. New Directions offers services that contribute to the well-being of children, youth, adults, families, and their community. We have immediate openings for Casual Direct Support Workers to perform shift work in these different areas of support:
- Community Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for children and youth with behavioural and emotional difficulties.
- Shift Staffed Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for adults with intellectual disabilities.
- Home Share opportunities for adults with intellectual disabilities and/or mental health issues.
- Individualized in-home support to children and youth with complex support needs.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent
- Current First Aid/CPR
- Education and/or experience working with individuals that have developmental disabilities, mental health issues, anxiety, self-injurious behaviour/suicidal ideation, FASD, Autism, behavioural challenges and emotional difficulties
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License. Access to a vehicle would be considered an asset
- Available to work a variety of shifts on weekdays and holidays (days, evenings, overnights and weekends)
- Able to provide three (3) references, preferably from direct supervisors
- Comfortable assisting with personal hygiene. Healthcare Aide certification would be considered an asset
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to diverse cultures and traditions
- American Sign Language (ASL)
The following are considered assets:
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention training
- Understanding of people who are marginalized
The salary range for this casual position is $13.68 to $15.13 per hour, based on education and/or experience.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s License and a current Driver’s Abstract.
With a commitment to health and safety and in order to continue our mission “to provide responsive and individualized services”, New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults & Families requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment for all new employees. (Exceptions and accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, reasonable supporting documentation will be required.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adult and Families
Please enter DSW 1 Application In the subject line of the email. If there is a particular service area that you are interested in, please include that in the body of your email
Applicants who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing are encouraged to apply directly to employment.DeafHH@newdirections.mb.ca, for an accessible application and selection process
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries on the status of your application.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org