Casual Direct Support Worker
All Service Areas
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities. New Directions offers services that contribute to the well-being of children, youth, adults, families, and their community. We have immediate openings for Casual Direct Support Workers to perform shift work in these different areas of support:
- Community Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for children and youth with behavioural and emotional difficulties.
- Home Share opportunities for adults with intellectual disabilities and/or mental health issues.
- Individualized in-home support to children and youth with complex support needs.
- Shift Staffed Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for adults with intellectual disabilities.
New Directions’ welcomes applicants interested in casual hours and who want to make a difference in the community; this includes those who already have full time employment and are interested in pursuing additional work.
- High-School Diploma or equivalent.
- Current First Aid/CPR.
- Education and/or experience working with individuals that have mental health issues, anxiety, self-injurious behaviour/suicidal ideation, FASD, Autism, behavioural challenges and emotional difficulties.
- Must be available to work a variety of shifts on a 24-7 basis (Days, evenings, overnights and weekends)
- Comfortable assisting with personal hygiene
- Good problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to intervene effectively in crisis situations using NCI verbal and physical techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to diverse cultures and traditions.
The following are considered assets:
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training
- A current driver’s license and a reliable vehicle
- Understanding of people who are marginalized
- American Sign Language (ASL)
The salary range for this casual position is $13.48 to $14.91 per hour, based on education and/or experience.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s License and a current Driver’s Abstract.
With a commitment to health and safety and in order to continue our mission “to provide responsive and individualized services”, New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults & Families requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment for all new employees. (Exceptions and accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, reasonable supporting documentation will be required.)
Please forward your resume and cover letter with references to:
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adult and Families
Subject Line: DSW 1 Application
Please indicate your availability in your cover letter
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries on the status of your application.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org