Part-Time (25 hours/week)
CULTURE, EDUCATION & TRAINING SERVICES
(The Empower Project -TEP)
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities. Culture education and Training is one of the many services offered by New Directions. The Empower Project (TEP) provides wrap around care management, teaching of life and employment skills as well as on the job training for youth who are involved with the Justice System and have multiple barriers to success in life. We are currently seeking a part-time Mentor to join our team.
Primary areas of responsibility will include, but are not limited to: Providing support and encouragement to participants, Intake/assessment, counselling, engaging in supportive activities, consulting, advocacy, teaching life skills training (shopping, cooking, budgeting), referrals, documentation, treatment planning, goal development and evaluation.
Applicants must have:
- Work experience with female youth who are diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder and are involved with the Justice system.
- Minimum of 2 years working with this population
- Knowledge of the issues related to high risk youth
- Knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to Indigenous Cultures and Traditions and be inclusive of multi-cultural beliefs and lifestyles
- Experience providing counselling and working with substance abuse, disabilities, mental health and trauma issues as well as proficiency in negotiation and collaborating with systems
- Skills in establishing boundaries and setting limits with youth.
- The ability to be energetic, creative with excellent team, time management and organizational skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, especially with youth
- Access to a vehicle and a valid driver’s license
- Must be available to work, days, late afternoons, evenings, and Saturdays.
The salary range for this 25 hour/week part-time position is $15.50 – 21.70 per hour, dependent upon education and/or experience. The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child Abuse Registry, Prior Contact, and Adult Abuse Registry Checks. A recent Driver’s Abstract and Driver’s Safety Rating must be provided.
Please forward your resume and covering letter by October 30, 2020 to:
Culture, Education and Training- TRY
500- 717 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8
Fax: (204) 774-6468
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job please visit newdirections.mb.ca.