DIRECT SUPPORT WORKERS 1
(Based in Winnipeg)
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities.
Home Services at New Directions offers services that contribute to the well-being of children, youth, adults, families, and their community. We have immediate openings for Casual Direct Support Workers to perform shift work in these different areas of support:
• Community Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for children and youth with behavioural and emotional difficulties.
• Home Share opportunities for adults with intellectual disabilities and/or mental health issues.
• Individualized in-home support to children and youth with complex support needs.
• Community Homes (24 hour shift-staffed) for adults with intellectual disabilities.
New Directions’ welcomes applicants interested in casual hours and who want to make a difference in the community; this includes those who already have full time employment and are interested in pursuing additional work.
• High-School Diploma or equivalent.
• A current driver’s license
• Comfortable assisting with personal hygiene
• Good problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication skills
• Demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to diverse cultures and traditions.
The following are considered assets:
• Flexibility to work a variety of shifts on a 24-7 basis (Days, evenings, overnights and weekends)
• Education and/or experience working with individuals that have mental health issues, anxiety, self-injurious behaviour/suicidal ideation, FASD, Autism, behavioural challenges and emotional difficulties
• Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training
• Current First Aid/CPR
• Reliable vehicle
• Understanding of people who are marginalized
• American Sign Language (ASL)
The salary range for this casual position is $13.35 to $14.76 per hour, based on education and/or experience.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s License and a current Driver’s Abstract.
Please forward your resume and cover letter with references to:
Resource Coordinator – Hiring Resources Department
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adult and Families
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries on the status of your application.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to Jobs.HomeServices@newdirections.mb.ca