Direct Service Worker 1
TERF Transition House
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities. The Transition House is a sub-program of Culture, Education and Training (formerly TERF), which provides 24/7 (shift work) residential care for six youth and young adult women and transgender individuals ages 16 to 20. We are looking for a Casual Direct Support Worker to join our team.
• Building positive, respectful and non-judgmental relationships with youth;
• Teaching, modeling and encouraging socially acceptable behavior;
• Providing instruction, coaching and guidance to youth;
• Completion of documentation in accordance with licensing standards;
• Household duties; shopping, cleaning, and food preparation.
• Community activities with youth
• Previous experience working with youth who have been marginalized and exploited
• Child and Youth Care Diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• A demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity of Indigenous cultures and traditions and be inclusive of multi-cultural beliefs and lifestyles
• Previous experience working in a licensed residential facility
• Must be available to work a variety of shifts on a 24-7 basis (Days, evenings, awake overnights and weekends and holidays)
• Ability to intervene effectively in crisis situations using NCI verbal and physical techniques.
• Excellent team skills, creativity and energy
• First Aid/CPR certification
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Good problem-solving skills
• Strong computer skills
The salary range for this casual position is $13.35 to $14.76 per hour, based on education and/or experience. dependent upon education and/or experience.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record and Adult/Child Abuse Registry Checks; and must supply a current driver’s abstract. The successful candidate may be asked complete computer and administrative skills testing.
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
TERF Transition House
500- 717 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8
Fax: (204) 774-6468
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com