Direct Support Worker 1
Child Home Services
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster the hopes and dreams of people and their communities.
Child Home Services (CHS) is one of the many programs offered by New Directions; this program provides homes for children and youth with behavioural and emotional difficulties. Our community-based resources are designed to promote a sense of belonging and provide opportunities to engage in a meaningful life. This is achieved by creating a home environment that welcomes the participation of the child or youth as a member, supporting his or her pursuit of interests and goals, and helping maintain and strengthen the bond between the child or youth and his or her significant others. We provide an environment that is non-judgmental, safe, and caring.
CHS has immediate openings for casual Direct Support Worker 1 positions to perform shift work in residences staffed 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. The length of the shifts range from 8 to 12 hours. New Directions’ welcomes applicants interested in casual hours and who want to make a difference in the community; this includes those who already have full time employment and are interested in pursuing additional work.
- Establishing meaningful, caring, and respectful relationships with children and youth,
- Maintaining appropriate boundaries and setting limits with children and youth,
- Providing care to children and youth in a community and residential setting,
- Participating in programming to meet the individual goals of children and youth,
- Participating in various recreational and physical activities with children and youth,
- Cooking, house cleaning, yard work and other household maintenance duties.
- A High School Diploma or equivalent,
- Valid driver’s license,
- Must be available to work a variety of shifts on a 24-7 basis (days, evenings, awake overnights, and weekends),
- Education and/or experience supporting individuals with autism, intellectual/developmental disabilities, mental health issues, anxiety, self-injurious behaviour/suicidal ideation, FASD, behavioural problems and emotional difficulties,
- Experience working with youth who have been marginalized and exploited,
- Demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to diverse cultures and traditions,
- Effective self-care strategies and ability to remain professional in stressful situations,
- First Aid /C.P.R., Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Training (NCI) certification and American Sign Language (ASL) are considered assets.
The salary range for the casual Direct Support Worker 1 position is $13.48 to $14.91 per hour, dependent upon education and/or experience.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s License and a Driver’s Abstract.
Please put “Direct Support Worker 1 – CHS” in the subject line of your email and forward resume and covering letter to:
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults and Families
500 – 717 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to Employment@newdirections.mb.ca