Direct Support Worker 1
Adult Family Supports SUPPORTS
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities. Adult Family Supports (AFS) is one of the many services offered by New Directions. Adult Family Supports provides services for adults living in various settings including the family home, transitional or long-term care facilities. Adult Family Supports (AFS) has immediate openings for Direct Support Workers 1 shifts will be daytime, evening, and weekends.
- Assisting with personal hygiene
- Patient and calm in stressful situations
- Active and willing to participate in physical activities
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle to transport to various locations in the community
- Self-motivated to work independently in the community while collaborating with the larger team
- Excellent communication with Case Managers and supervisors
- Grocery shopping
- Assisting with access to medical care
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts (Days, evenings, and weekends when the need arises)
- Creative problem-solving skills
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in the area(s) of disability services, addictions, mental health, and related education
- Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Completed NVCI
- Knowledge of FASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personalities, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be an asset
- Effective problem-solving ability & strong communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Shift work can include days, evenings, and weekends
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license is also a requirement. Access to a vehicle is required. A current Driver’s Abstract must be provided
- Ability to provide personal care to participants is sometimes a job requirement
- Special interest such as music, singing, and activities may be helpful
- Based on the support needs required, this position is open to male candidates only
The salary range is $13.48 to $14.91. dependent upon education and/or experience. The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s Licence and a Driver’s Abstract.
With a commitment to health and safety and in order to continue our mission “to provide responsive and individualized services”, New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults & Families requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment for all new employees. (Exceptions and accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, reasonable supporting documentation will be required.)
Please forward your resume and cover letter with 3 references by October 21st, 2021, to:
New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults and Families
500 – 717 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8
Please include POSTING #OC-AFS-01-21 in the subject line of your email
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries on the status of your application.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org