New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities.
Direct Support Worker l
Adult Family Supports
Adult Family Supports (AFS) is one of the many services offered by New Directions. Adult Family Supports provides services for adults living in various settings including the family home, transitional or long-term care facilities. Adult Family Supports (AFS) has immediate openings for Direct Support Workers 1 to work Monday to Friday 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm with the possibility of more shifts.
- Assisting with personal hygiene
- Patient and calm in stressful situations
- Active and willing to participate in physical activities
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle to transport to various locations in the community
- Self-motivated to work independently in the community while collaborating with the larger team
- Excellent communication with Case Managers and supervisors
- Grocery shopping
- Assisting with access to medical care
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts (Days, evenings, and weekends when the need arises)
- Creative problem-solving skills
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in the area(s) of disability services, addictions, mental health, and related education
- Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities
- Valid First Aid/CPR
- Completed NVCI
- Fluent in French is considered an asset.
- Knowledge of FASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personalities, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be an asset
- Effective problem-solving ability & strong communication skills
- The ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Shift work can include days, evenings, and weekends
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license is also a requirement. Access to a vehicle is required. A current Driver’s Abstract must be provided
- Ability to provide personal care to participants is sometimes a job requirement
- Special interest such as music, singing, and activities may be helpful
The salary range is $13.35 to $14.76. dependent upon education and/or experience. The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record, Child/Adult Abuse Registry, and Prior Contact checks. In addition, applicants will be required to provide a copy of their Driver’s Licence and a Driver’s Abstract.
Please put Direct Support Worker 1 – AFS in the subject line of your email and forward resume and covering letter by January 29th, 2021 to:
Adult Family Supports
471 Warsaw avenue. Winnipeg, MB R3L 0R2
Fax: (204) 222-4295
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries on the status of your application.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to AFS@newdirections.mb.ca