SUPPORTED INDEPENDENT LIVING
New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities.
Supported Independent Living (S.I.L.) is one of the many services offered by New Directions. S.I.L. provides independent living supports to people who may have intellectual disabilities and/or mental health issues, and who experience barriers to living independently in the community. We are currently seeking Community Resource Workers to join our team.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
· Empowering individuals to gain and maintain independent living situations (apartments, rooming houses etc.)
· Assisting with apartment management, liaising with landlords, and Employment and Income Assistance (EIA)
· Grocery shopping and budgeting
· Assisting with access to medical care and other community resources
· Applicants must be comfortable dealing with crisis situations, working with individuals who may be in conflict with the law and struggling with addictions.
· High School Diploma or equivalent. Preference will be given to candidates with post-secondary education in the area(s) of disability services, addictions, mental health, and related education
· Experience working with people with intellectual disabilities
· Knowledge of FASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Mood Disorders, Anxiety Disorders, Schizophrenia, Borderline Personalities, and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder would be an asset
· Effective problem-solving ability & strong communication skills
· The ability to work independently and as a part of a team
· Shift work can include days, evenings, and weekends
· A valid Class 5 driver’s license is also a requirement. Access to a vehicle is required
· Ability to provide personal care to participants is sometimes a job requirement
The salary range for this full-time position is $15.89 to $22.25 per hour (equivalent to $28,919 to $40,495 per annum), dependent upon education and/or experience. A full benefits package (which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long Term Disability Benefits, and Pension Plan) is provided to regular full-time staff.
The successful candidate will be subject to Criminal Record Check, Adult and Child Abuse Registry Check, Prior Contact Checks; and must supply a current driver’s abstract.
With a commitment to health and safety and in order to continue our mission “to provide responsive and individualized services”, New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults & Families requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, in a manner approved by Health Canada, as a condition of employment for all new employees. (Exceptions and accommodations will be made for those who are exempt from receiving the vaccine due to legitimate, established reasons in accordance with The Human Rights Code of Manitoba. In these cases, reasonable supporting documentation will be required.
500 – 717 Portage Avenue Winnipeg, MB R3G 0M8 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (204) 774-6468
Please include the job posting number NV-SIL-0129-22 in your email subject line and/or in your cover letter. Applications without a job posting number quoted may not be considered.
There is no closing date for this posting. This posting will remain open until vacant positions have been filled.
Applicants who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing are encouraged to apply directly to employment.DeafHH@newdirections.mb.ca, for an accessible application and selection process
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and newcomers to Canada. We strive for a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the people we support and contributes to the diversification of ideas.
Accommodations for accessibility purposes are available for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com