The Families Affected by Sexual Assault [FASA] program has been working with families in Winnipeg for almost 25 years. The program operates out of the agency New Directions for Children, Youth, Adults and Families located at 491 Portage Ave. Winnipeg, MB, Canada. We offer two programs: one for Families Affected by Sexual Assault. We provide therapy for children under age 18 who have been sexually assaulted by someone who is not a caregiver or sibling; and the other for children under 12 with Sexual Behaviour Problems.
- When children have been hurt, they naturally turn to their parents for comfort.
- A child’s disclosure breaks the silence and begins the recovery process.
- When faced with the issues of sexual assault, parents often feel helpless,
- in need of support and assistance in dealing with this process.
- The staff of the FASA program is here to help you and your family.
What you need to know:
- Sexual assault affects all family members
- Parents play an active and essential role in the recovery process
- Children who have support and understanding will suffer fewer ill effects
- Children and their families do recover
If this has happened to you it is very important that you tell an adult that you trust to help you. If this has happened to someone you know it is also important to tell an adult that you trust. Adults can, will, and do believe, they can help.