All families experience stress. But when difficulties seem too large to manage, it may be hard to know which way to turn. Family therapy can help.
To help families make use of their strengths and resources and build on their coping strategies and skills in addressing problems and achieving their hopes and dreams.
We work with families and professionals to provide them with services tailored to their needs, the following beliefs guide our practise.
We believe that:
- Family struggles are embedded within social, economic, cultural and historical contexts
- Families’ strengths include their inner resources, values, cultural and spiritual traditions and community relationships
- All families experience times of stress and transitions and have the capacity to adapt and grow through them
Families having a child between the ages of 12 and 18 years old are eligible for our services. Suggestions for referrals may come from a variety of sources including Child and Family Services, teachers, counselors, doctors, community agencies and former clients. In order to become engaged with our services, families are asked to call us directly to make a self-referral.
Services for Families:
Depending on the need of the family, we will work the whole family, the couple, siblings or an individual; we may also refer to our Teen Group.
Our counselling deals with a range of issues including:
- changes in families
- parenting issues and support
- sexual abuse
- physical aggression
- adjustment to separation, divorce and remarriage
- addictions issues
- anger and anxiety issues
RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES: Click on title below
The Family Life Cycle Common Difficulties in the Families with Young Children Stage Common Challenges in the Families with Adolescents Stage Common Difficulties in the Launching Stage How to Get the Most Out of your Therapy Tips for Couples Parenting Tips for Families with Teenagers Helping Your Children Deal With Divorce
Services for Professionals
High-quality service delivery to professionals means high-quality service to families.
The Family Therapy Program offers professionals:
- Telephone or in-person consultations regarding potential or ongoing referrals.
- Training in Family Systems Interventions
- Workshops on issues affecting families
- Masters practicum placement (limited to 1 to 2 students)
RESOURCES FOR PROFESSIONALS: Click on title below
Family Systems Training – Information 2016-2017